eMail LvdW
eMail AvB

Tobruks on Fort Ellewoutsdijk

The Dutch have built many fortresses along the river Scheldt. One of them still stands near the village Ellewoutsdijk, which is on the peninsula Zuid-Beveland. The fortress lies on the northern bank at the Scheldt opposite Terneuzen. The construction started in 1835 and the hexagonal brickwork was finished in 1839. In WW-II the German occupants used it as a barrack and for observation. Directly after the war the Dutch authorities changed it into a camp for prisoners of war.

The fortress, with the German remains and the Scheldt in one view.

The high dike is post war, the view in war time was excellent.