eMail LvdW
eMail AvB

Cable bunkers on Walcheren

Communications are vital in a complex defence structure such as the Atlantikwall. From 1942 to 1944 many cable bunkers were built on Walcheren. They provided connections for the strongpoints to the main telephone network on the island. You may find them in a row at a distance of 1 km behind the coast (Seefront) and likewise behind the Landfront. For the interconnection the occupants used the existing civil cable network, which was sometimes expanded with newly layed German cables. These cables were either dug in or placed as free air lines on telephone poles. Coordination with the adjacent areas, like Zeeuws-Vlaanderen or Noordbeveland was realised by using cables under the sea.

Walcheren was and is devided by a canal, which runs from the north (Veere) to the south (Vlissingen). At three different locations cable crossings under the canal were made. At each crossing two cables were layed at least 50 m apart. In order to provide good camouflage, most of the cablebunkers were built on farmyards and some had a tiled roof on top. Many of the cablebunkers on Walcheren still remain.

Cable bunkers on Walcheren

Not on Walcheren, but elsewhere in the Atlantikwall.