eMail LvdW
eMail AvB

Verteidigungsbereich Vlissingen

The Verteidigungbereich Vlissingen was heavily defended. The coastal defences (Seefront) started in the south-east at the old Dutch Fort Rammekens. This oldest coastal fortress in Europe was designed by the Italian Petezuoli and built in 1547. This fortress and the nearby area were included into Stützpunkt Rommel, which strongpoint joined the Seefront with the Landfront in the east. Following the dike west from there, we find a former AA battery, the Kernwerk at the harbour and the long boulevard with once, several MG and Pakbunkers. We follow the track into the dunes north of Vlissingen all the way up to Groot-Valkenisse. Widerstandsnest Fledermaus provided the connection between the Seefront and the Landfront at this end of the island. This Landfront had a wet tankditch and many Mg and Pakbunkers, it runs across the island from the fore-mentionned Fledermaus, via Koudekerke to Nieuw Abeele. Here the crossing with the canal through Walcheren was constructed. At the east side of the canal the Landfront continues with a tankditch and Pak-bunkers. In the Welzingepolder the tankditch was connected to a tankwall which can be visited by walking up to Fort Rammekens, at the start of our tour. It is remarkable that only 4 out of 34 Landfrontbunkers and just 800 meters of tankditch have been lost. At three places dragonteeth obstacles (Höckerhindernisse) were built. Two of them remain. As an enhancement of the defence of this VB, fieldartillery and AA batteries were placed. Several supporting bunkers complete the coverage.

An excellent example of bunkerpreservation. A cablebunker type Ksb was saved from demolition and placed here on a new spot.